Sam Jones hymnbook table of contents of indexes
Various collections of the hymns of Sam Jones have been made over the years.
Here is a description of them, and a link to their individual indices.
- index of Handwritten edition: Sam kept a collection of his hymns in his own handwriting, although he didn't include all the hymns he ever wrote. Whether he quit when the book was full, or selected in some other way, is unknown.
- index of Historical Words only edition: For a time, a collection of words only hymns, and some sayings and notes attributed to Sam were made available from Miss Bailey, in Shropshire, England.
- index of Historical Typeset edition: After Sam's death, Wilfred Geue collected together as many hymns written by Sam as he could find, and published them in a large book, with a green binding, complete with music. There were two or three editions, as a few more hymns were found after the first edition was complete, and there was demand for more books. A thin supplement was produced for people with the first edition. While the quality of the typesetting varied within this book, it was a phenomenal effort for one man for the time and technology.
- index of Modern edition (2009): With Wilfred's edition long out of print, and with improvements in technology, Lionel Modra has retypeset all the hymns, and even discovered a few that were omitted from Wilfred's collection.
- index of Modern edition (2012) and Modern Words Only: Lionel discovered one more hymn written by Sam that was not in the 2009 collection, and determined that one hymn in the collection is written by Iris Jones, not Sam, so moved it to the end.
- index of Modern edition (2018): Typeset with Song Printer for Windows.
- Combined index A combination of all the above indices.